Hunting & Fishing Licenses

Residents can purchase a new license beginning December 15.

Purchase hunting and fishing licenses in Crawford County.

Fishing Licenses

Most licenses may be purchased in the Recorder's office, online, at any of Iowa's 900 license vendors , or by calling at 1-800-367-1188.

Special License for Residents

  1. Annual Free Fishing or Combination Hunting and Fishing licenses are available to residents of Iowa, 65 years or older with low income, or residents permanently disabled with low income.
  2. Disabled Veteran’s License – Available to Iowa residents that are a veteran as defined in Section 35.1, who was disabled, or who was a prisoner of war during their military service. Disabled means entitled to compensation under United States Code, Title 38, Ch. 11.

Applications and assistance for these special licenses are available at the Crawford County Recorder's Office.


The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is required to collect social security numbers from all persons obtaining a hunting, fishing or other recreational license under section 252J.8 of the Code of Iowa and 42 U.S. Code 666(a)(13). Your social security number will serve as your principal identification number to determine your eligibility for licenses. It will be provided to law enforcement agencies and the Iowa Child Support Collection Unit to establish, modify and enforce child support obligations. It WILL NOT appear on your hunting or fishing license.

Requirements for Purchasing Resident Licenses

Anglers must meet at least one of the following criteria to purchase a resident fishing license in Iowa:

  1. Have an Iowa driver’s license or Iowa non-operator’s identification card and have physically resided in Iowa 30 consecutive days immediately before applying for or purchasing a resident license.
  2. Be registered to vote in Iowa. Qualifications to register to vote are outlined in Iowa Code chapter 48A.5.
  3. Be a full-time student at an educational institution located in Iowa and reside in Iowa while attending the educational institution.
  4. Be a nonresident under 18 years of age whose parent is a resident of Iowa.
  5. Be a member of the armed forces of the United States on active duty and (a) stationed in Iowa or (b) is stationed outside of Iowa, claims residency in Iowa and has filed an Iowa income tax return for the preceding tax year.

More information about fishing licenses and regulations can be found on the Iowa DNR website.

Hunting Licenses

*The Resident Apprentice License was introduced in 2016. For more information please refer to the Hunting Regulations Booklet.

Many licenses may be purchased online, at any of Iowa's 900 license vendors, or by calling at 1-800-367-1188. For more licenses and information, visit the Iowa Department of Natural Resources website. Fees and license offerings subject to change.